Wat Bowonniwet Vihara Rajaworavihara (Wat Bowon ) is situated near the Wan Chart Bridge and Banglamphu Market. Prince Mahasakdipolsep, regent of the Third Reign, ordered the construction of this temple along with Wat Rangsisuthawat, and it was built between 1824 to 1832. At first the temple was called Wat Mai, but when King Rama III invited the future King Rama IV, who was then a monk, to be abbot of the temple, the name was changed to Wat Bowonniwet Vihara. In the Six Reign, Wat Rangsisuthawat, which was in poor condition, was incorporated into Wat Bowonniwet Vihara. Wat Bowon is the residence of members of the Royal Family who enter the monkhood. It has also been the residence of many Supreme Patriarchs of Thai Buddhism, and is the site of Mahamakut Rajavittayalai, Thailand’s first Buddhist institution of higher education.